Paul Alex Briseno

RSS

Soft Skills Trump Tools

classroomtech:

Generally speaking, technology coaches are seen as one of two things:

1 - Fix-its that simply keep the trains running on time. (Hey, if my projector doesn’t work, how do you suppose I use technology in my lesson, right?)
2 - Ancillary resources that pepper in an app/tool/website as some kind of…
holtthink:

Adding new technology to old pedagogy does not make it better.

holtthink:

Adding new technology to old pedagogy does not make it better.

gjmueller:

The unstoppable TI-84 Plus: How an outdated calculator still holds a monopoly on classrooms

Electronics almost universally become cheaper over time. But with essentially a monopoly on graphing calculator usage in classrooms, Texas Instruments can charge a premium. Texas Instruments accounted for 93 percent of the U.S. graphing calculator sales from July 2013-June 2014. Casio took the other 7 percent, according to NPD data. During that period 1.6 million graphing calculators were sold, a decrease from sales of 1.67 million during July 2011-June 2012.

gjmueller:

The unstoppable TI-84 Plus: How an outdated calculator still holds a monopoly on classrooms

Electronics almost universally become cheaper over time. But with essentially a monopoly on graphing calculator usage in classrooms, Texas Instruments can charge a premium. Texas Instruments accounted for 93 percent of the U.S. graphing calculator sales from July 2013-June 2014. Casio took the other 7 percent, according to NPD data. During that period 1.6 million graphing calculators were sold, a decrease from sales of 1.67 million during July 2011-June 2012.


"With few exceptions, the public school teachers I’ve known over the years are among the most committed people I know, working long hours for relatively little pay on one of the most important tasks of our society – educating our children. Yes, the tenure system has to be reformed, and a few teachers aren’t doing a good enough job. But these aren’t the real problem. Our public school teachers have become scapegoats for a system that’s underfunded, underequipped, underappreciated, and overwhelmed."- Robert Reich, economist

"With few exceptions, the public school teachers I’ve known over the years are among the most committed people I know, working long hours for relatively little pay on one of the most important tasks of our society – educating our children. Yes, the tenure system has to be reformed, and a few teachers aren’t doing a good enough job. But these aren’t the real problem. Our public school teachers have become scapegoats for a system that’s underfunded, underequipped, underappreciated, and overwhelmed."

Robert Reich, economist

My friend KP is always at Disney World. She’s been there more times this year than I’ve ever been my whole life.   KP=bunches ME=0.   #disneyworld #disney #mickeymouse #tardis

My friend KP is always at Disney World. She’s been there more times this year than I’ve ever been my whole life. KP=bunches ME=0. #disneyworld #disney #mickeymouse #tardis

staff:

Today’s the day. The day you help save the internet from being ruined.

Ready? 

Yes, you are, and we’re ready to help you.

(Long story short: The FCC is about to make a critical decision as to whether or not internet service providers have to treat all traffic equally. If they choose wrong, then the internet where anyone can start a website for any reason at all, the internet that’s been so momentous, funny, weird, and surprising—that internet could cease to exist. Here’s your chance to preserve a beautiful thing.)

Sep 7
I have a feeling its going to be a rough year, but still my team!
GO COWBOYS!

I have a feeling its going to be a rough year, but still my team!

GO COWBOYS!

Sep 7

ehmeegee:

Let’s talk.